Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Social Media: What Not to Do

I confess, I love social media. I use Instagram as a blogging tool. I Facebook friends and family to stay connected, Pinterest keeps me stimulated creatively.  Twitter provides me with immediate sports scores, weather updates and news events.  I spend too much time on Social Media and am currently trying to place restrictions on my usage.

As much as I love it, there are things that make my skin crawl. All the taboo postings that make me want to leave a comment such as, "What the heck were you thinking? or "Delete that right now!"  You too, might be on the verge of posting one of the following and to you, I offer this advice: Don't Do It!  Here is my top 5 list of Social Media Dont's:


  1. Open wounds or broken bones. A simple post about being in the ER is sufficient. We don't need to see the blood stained flesh, gnarly stitches or bone sticking out, we believe you.
  2. Poop. I know the joys and stresses of potty training, I know it is exciting when your child goes poopoo in the potty for the very first time. Journal it, write it in their baby book. Take a picture if you must and put it in their scrapbook, but don't share it please.  Just don't.  The same goes for newborn baby diapers, stomach problems, toilets in the background of selfies and any other personal business that takes place in the bathroom.
  3. Naked children. There is nothing sweeter than an innocent child in their birthday suit.  I love the newborn pics with the tiny baby tush. So precious. However, when the children get older this same innocence becomes a prime target for child predators. Disgusting, yes. Appaling, absolutely. Yet, so true.  My worst fear is that some creep finds a random picture of my children and uses it for things I could never imagine.
  4. Tragedies.  My journalistic instinct is to report the news immediately.  But then I have to stop and remind myself there are real people involved. Real families that have just lost someone very precious and are still processing their grief.  They don't need to see a picture of the gruesome accident, their flattened or charred home or even the details before they have been released.  Respect the families. Give them time. Pray for them. Call or stop by. If you must send a publc post, wait until all parties have been notified.  
  5. Copyrighted photos.  At this point, I will put on my librarian hat and play copyright police.  Taking a picture of a copyrighted photo and posting it is just bad judgment. School photos, wedding photos, family photos, it doesn't matter.  If the picture has a copyright, you can not use it without permission. Posting it on your page with the obvious watermark or logo could get you into big trouble. Photography is an art and way of life for many people.  It will make your photographer furious and could land you a lawsuit. Don't be "that guy."
Social media can be wonderful. It is also immediate and often, too fast for our minds to keep up.  We think it, we post it. Maybe if we just thought on it for a few more seconds or maybe even slept on it, the virtual world would be a better place. I teach elementary students Social Media safety and ettiquete in the fall. Most have no idea the things that could happen as a result of one post. Sometimes I think we, as adults, need that reminder as well.  I look forward to reading your posts, even if they make me twitch. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment